ST. CLOUD – Fires can happen anywhere and you don’t want to be caught off guard.
It’s Fire Prevention Week and local fire departments are making sure you refresh your fire safety.
Greg Adamietz is St. Cloud’s Deputy Fire Marshal. He says kitchen fires are the most common cause of all house fires.
While cooking food, objects remain on the stove and the burner is accidentally turned on or left on. These hotplates will then heat whatever is on the stove to the point of ignition.
Adamietz says luckily when this happens it is usually just smoke damage as the owner is able to put out the fire before fire crews arrive.
This year’s theme is Knowing the Sounds of Fire Safety. Adamietz says knowing what to do when a fire alarm sounds will protect you and your family.
Smoke detectors are the first course of action for anyone in the event of a fire. If they go off and you don’t know what’s going on, get out of the building and call the fire department.
He says this week is also a good time to check your smoke detector batteries and review your safe exit plan with your family.
St. Cloud is the region’s only non-volunteer fire department, with staff stationed in four geographic locations 24 hours a day.